Weekend Shopping and Baking

I'm always so excited for Friday, and then next thing I know here we are again on Sunday evening. It just goes by too fast, and there isn't enough time to really unwind before the next work week starts up again. But enough of my whining. I had a good weekend, did some shopping and we had some friends over last night that hadn't seen our house yet. I made my famous buffalo dip (recipe can be found here) and pumpkin spice cupcakes.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Cream 1 and 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter until smooth in a large bowl
Add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar and mix until smooth
Add 3 eggs one at a time and set aside

Combine 1 cup of pumpkin puree, 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and 1 tsp. of vanilla in a medium bowl and set aside

Combine 2 cups of all purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, and 1 tsp. of baking soda in a large bowl.

In thirds, alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture blending well until smooth.

To make a cake pour batter into three 8 inch pans and bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees
To make cupcakes, pour batter into cupcake cups in a cupcake pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes 

After the cakes have cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting

Cream Cheese Frosting

Beat one 8 oz. package of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of butter (both softened) until fluffy.
Gradually add 16 oz. of powdered sugar beating at low speed until blended.
Add 1 tsp. of vanilla beating until well blended

After serving, store any leftovers in the fridge as the frosting contains cream cheese

We enjoyed these goodies and gave them a tour of the house and then went out for a few drinks. Great evening and we've been really enjoying getting to know new people down here. We miss our friends and family back home so much it hurts, but it's really helps that we've been blessed with great neighbors and co-workers. 

I also did a little shopping this weekend since there were some sales going on for Columbus Day weekend. I don't have a 3 day weekend, but was able to take advantage of some retail therapy with the sales going on.

Remember the black skinnies I wanted from The Gap in my most recent Wardrobe Wants Wednesday post? Well, they went on sale this weekend! Instead of $69.95, they were $34.95... but here's the catch. I went to the mall today because I wanted to try them on and make sure I liked them, but only the blue ones were 50% off, the black ones were only 20% off at the register. But I specifically remembered seeing them 50% off online, so I went home and ordered them instead and got my 50% off! 

Unflattering cell phone pic from the dressing room. I feel a little "hip-py" in them, but I plan to wear longer tops with them. They're super comfy and no where near as restricting as regular jeans.

I also picked up H a nice new button down and some boxers from The Gap which were also on sale, got a new necklace and earring set from Forever 21, and some new tops from Old Navy.

I got this great top at Old Navy for only $8.00

This cardigan was also from Old Navy and on sale for $17.99

I also purchased the top that I'm wearing in the Gap dressing room pic from Old Navy on sale for $7.95, but for some reason I can't seem to find a pic of it online. All the tops are super comfy and I'm so happy that they were all so cheap. 

Hope everyone else had a great weekend, and maybe hit up some good sales, now it's time to look Monday in the face and conquer it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment