Hello October

October, is that you? Lots of happenings in September, and so much to look forward to this month as well. It's officially pumpkin season and birthday month for Lil' Miss. She has opted to skip a birthday party this year, and instead asked to go see Simone Biles in the Gold Over America tour. Who am I to say no to that? We can't wait to go see the GOAT herself, and her bestie and her sweet momma are going to be joining the fun. 



Last week, I flew up to Connecticut to see my dad after his open heart surgery. I flew up there on JetBlue which meant flying out of Terminal C at the Orlando airport which is always a good idea. Beautiful brand new terminal (if you're familiar with this airport then you know how tired Terminals A and B are) and a Wine Bar George which I stopped by for a refreshing fro.


I brought the cutest homemade card from Lil' Miss and a framed photo of our family together at a local orchard over the summer to bring some cheer to his hospital room. 



Aside from enjoying my coffee on the deck with views of the start of some fall foliage, I spent my trip in hospitals. Yes, hospitals plural. My mom needed an iron infusion while I was in town, and she is unable to drive afterwards. So, after visiting my dad one morning I brought her for her infusion and made sure she was settled back in at home while I helped with some cleaning (they're still planning on finally moving down here to Florida this coming winter) and we enjoyed dinner together while watching "Carl Winslow" cut a rug on Dancing with the Stars. 




On Thursday evening, I flew back home on Frontier (my first time trying this airline). The seats were comfortable, but it truly is a bare bones experience. I paid a little extra to have a carry on (never flew on an airline where it's not included) and to pick my seat, but even snacks and water are not complimentary. There is no seat back entertainment, no Wi-Fi, etc... and that was ok for a 2 and a 1/2 hour flight. I enjoyed reading the book I brought and playing solitaire on my phone. I was however surprised to be able to fly back without any delays or cancellations as Hurricane Helene was making her way up the Florida coast that evening. We were fortunate to make it back to Orlando not long before there was a ground stop due to the high winds moving through. To say I am thankful that our area was spared from the worst of the storm is an understatement. My heart is breaking hearing the stories of people in North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. 




Aside from wanting to beat the storm, the biggest reason I was determined to make it home that evening was because Lil' Miss had her Fun Run the next day at school. The weather ended up clearing overnight, and she had so much fun with her friends running laps to raise money. 




That evening was also parents night out at her gymnastics gym, so we checked out a new to us pizza place and the pop-up Halloween bar that got me in the mood for the season. 




Recap reel of the fun at Nightmare on Orange pop-up experience can be found here.




I was exhausted from my trip, and all the fun on Friday that I laid low the rest of the weekend watching football, doing laundry, and baking apple cider donuts (recipe found here - I now have this donut pan but used cupcake liners back when I wrote the blog post) with Lil' Miss. Next up on our fall baking menu will be candy corn white chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. 




5 comments:

  1. I hope you Dad has a quick recovery and is home soon. Glad you were able to get home safely. Pumpkin Spice cupcakes sound so yummy!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  2. The devastation from the hurricane is just awful. I'm so glad y'all were spared, too! We dodged a major bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got home safely. My best wishes are with you and your family. Happy New Month dear. Have a great day!
    Rampdiary 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Continuing to pray for your dad and hope your mom is doing better. It will be nice to have them all moved in closer to you, I feel aging parents is so hard. Ohh, I need to go to a pop up bar sometime, they look so fun!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s wonderful that you’re able to spend quality time with your family, especially with your dad recovering. Seeing Simone Biles will be such an amazing experience for Lil' Miss—what a great birthday treat! Enjoy all the fall festivities and those delicious baking plans! 🍂🎃

    ReplyDelete