Another Great Weekend

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the weekends go by. I feel they're super important because we should work to live not live to work and it's so refreshing to sleep in, have time for yourself, and enjoy the company of friends and loved ones.

I started off our weekend by going to happy hour and enjoying some yummy martinis. I tried an Italian Apple Martini which was delicious. One of my friends asked what makes it "Italian" and I had to explain it had Amaretto in it which is my favorite!

Saturday morning it felt great to sleep in a little, and then I got up and went to spin class. It felt so great to be at spin again, after being too late to get a pass last week (even though I showed up 10 minutes early!). Later on, H and I drove out to a local winery and were pleasantly surprised at the whole experience. First of all, Florida is known to be flat, but as we got closer to the winery we noticed we were in the hills. The views at the top of the hill where the winery was were gorgeous. It somewhat reminded us of the airport in Nadi, Fiji. They had free tours and free tastings! We got to taste 8 different wines and their champagne. Back at home on the Connecticut Wine Trail, we're used to paying $6 or $7 for a tasting and only sampling about 5 or 6 wines, then to buy a bottle it'd be anywhere from $15 on up. We bought a bottle of red and white for only $8.99 each! We'll definitely be returning in the near future!


Yum! We enjoyed the red last night while I was cooking dinner.


Best little doo-hickey ever! I'd always wanted one these wine openers, and my mom gave one to me and H for Christmas a few years ago. No more breaking the cork while struggling to open a bottle of wine or half of it dropping into the wine which always made me sad.


The time change got the best of us, and we ended up missing church on Sunday morning. So we got up and went to the gym together. I worked out hard and H said I was "shaq'd" (his slang for soaked in nasty sweat because Shaq always gets really sweaty... clever H) but I felt great getting another great workout in. It was gorgeous out afterwards and the pool was calling my name, but I also had a $25 off a $50 purchase coupon for Express that was waiting to be used and I wanted to get a new top or two for my work trip to Omaha next week. So off to the mall I went... 
I ended up getting this top, but in purple because I need more color in my wardrobe


And I also got this top, but tried it on with the stripes, and traded it back for the same shirt but in solid black.

I wrapped up my weekend by cooking a pot of sauce which is H's favorite dinner and making cookies.
My sauce recipe:

1 small can of tomato paste
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 white onion
Garlic
1 lb. of 93/7 ground beef (7% fat)
Olive oil
Turkey meatballs (sometimes I add them, sometimes I don't)

Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large sauce pot.
Cut up onion and garlic and shred in food processor
Add to the olive oil and saute
Add meat
Saute until meat is no longer red/pink and is all brown
Add tomato paste
Using the tomato paste can, fill with water and add to the pot and stir.
Add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir. Turn down the heat to medium low and simmer. Add meatballs if you choose.

I serve it with spaghetti and garlic bread.

Cake mix cookies are the easiest cookies I make.

1 box of cake mix (any flavor)
1 stick of butter
1 egg

Mix all three ingredients together and portion onto a nonstick cookie pan. Bake for 9 minutes at 350 degrees.  I made these cookies with the Funfetti cake mix, so yummy!

Hope everyone else enjoyed their weekend, at least Monday is over with. This time next week, I'll be posting from Omaha. I hope that week goes by quicker than any work week ever has and that I will be symptom free from any labyrinthititus flare ups from flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment