Alaska Cruise Recap

I've been back for a few weeks from the work trip on a cruise to Alaska, but so much has happened since then and there is a lot more than my luggage that needs to be unpacked. 


We've had a few medical emergencies in the family and I have since been let go from said job. Yes - the job that I've had for over 6 years (with a brief intermission when I thought the grass was greener elsewhere) that I thrived at has ended just.like.that. No one knows why, and several people were fighting for me the last week as I handed over credentials. All we know is that the past few months have become increasingly toxic, little to no work life balance, and the new owner is making bad decision after bad decision while also treating his staff horribly to put it lightly. I have come to peace with it, because I had been so stressed out and anxiety ridden and I had survived multiple rounds of layoffs. I know it's for the best, but it's still really hard to process.


But let's recap the good stuff shall we? It's always hard to kiss my family goodbye, and leave for a work trip. This time I was at least not traveling internationally or on a long haul flight to the other side of the world which helped significantly. I flew into Seattle the night before we were to set sail on an incentive trip for one of the markets on the Norwegian Encore. I had never been to Seattle or anywhere in Alaska, so I knew it would be a rewarding trip both professionally and personally. I also enjoyed getting to know co-workers from around the world as well as more distributors.



I took my new Radley London tote for a spin, as she was scooped up with the full intention of being my new work travel tote. I ended up with a surprise upgrade to Delta Comfort + in a bulkhead seat so she fit comfortably in the overhead bin with my carryon luggage.






Not much to report from my evening in Seattle since I arrived pretty late, and just showered, scarfed down some Uber Eats, and got some much needed sleep. The next morning I headed over to the cruise port to check in, and get started covering the trip.








This was my first ever cooler weather cruise, but that didn't stop me from packing some dresses. I just threw a jacket over them and voila. I also packed a few bathing suits because hot tubs!




A sail away Aperol Spritz was on deck before heading to the welcome reception, and then to dinner with co-workers. All of the food was of course YUM.






Our first port of call was in Juneau, and we woke up to amazing views of the snow capped mountains. Travel tip - If you're planning an Alaska cruise, try to book near the start of the season because we were the only ship or one of two ships in each port before the busy seasons starts. The locals mentioned that during the height of the cruise season there that they can have 6 ships in port on just one day. Sounds like Nassau! 














Couldn't beat these morning coffee views! I am definitely a warm weather/tropical climate person (hence why I moved from Connecticut to Florida 14 years ago, and never looked back) - however this trip was incredible. I don't mind colder weather if I'm just visiting a place. The views were breathtaking and got more beautiful each day. 



Skagway was our 2nd port of call, and we explored the little town before boarding the White Pass Railroad to go up into the mountains and a brush into British Columbia and Yukon Territory. Again - the views were incredible. I thought Colorado was gorgeous last year, and this blew everything I saw there out of the water. 








No filter needed the entire trip! And the pictures do not do it justice. I cannot wait to head back and enjoy these views again with my family. Back on board - it was time for dinner and a show which is always my fav on cruise ships.






In the evening as we sailed away from Skagway, we were told to look out for the Northern Lights. I was in awe, and it took my breath away. I had to sit down after taking this photo. Again no filter. 




.... and then I woke up to THIS




The next day was an at sea day as we sailed around Glacier Bay National Park. Absolutely breathtaking. Like I said it just got prettier and more impressive each day. 




No makeup. No filter.




After covering some meetings, scheduling content, and a sweat sesh in the gym (where I saw a family of Orcas while on the elliptical) it was time for a quick dip in the hot tub with some co-workers. Spoiler alert - that blue drink was way too sweet and sadly only a few sips were had. 




Our 3rd port of call was in Ketchikan where I had booked my first ever excursion for just me, myself, and I. Everything was beautiful and peaceful, and it didn't even feel like we were out on the water for a few hours. Worth every penny and memory.




This was the day that I packed my water resistant fleece lined joggers for, and they were perfect for this tour. Paired with a lightweight jacket, water proof boots, and gloves I was ready for the early morning wakeup call to meet at the pier at 7:45. 






Back on board before noon, I grabbed a coffee and headed to the gym for an extra sweat sesh before having lunch. I was feeling so tired, and a coffee and a workout did the trick. I felt great the whole rest of the day. Another tip - always take the stairs. It's the best way to squeeze in some extra exercise and avoid the crowded elevators on the ship.






I dined alone for the first time the whole week on the last night before we arrived in Victoria, British Columbia for a short stop from 8:00 - 12:00 p.m. I enjoyed a glass of bubbles on the balcony as I watched our ship pull into port.




A group of us decided to do the rickshaw tour through the city, and it was so much fun! The tour guides are actually running and pulling your cart Flintstone style. Highly recommend.








When we docked back in Seattle I had a few hours before I needed to head to the airport, so I wanted to see all the touristy things. I didn't make it to the Space Needle, but enjoyed some fish throwing at the market, saw the first ever Starbucks, and some extra moments with co-workers that would be heading back to Australia and Japan as I went back to Florida. 







Shop this Post



5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your job. I would love to go on an Alaskan cruise one day! It looks like such an amazing trip! Your photos are beautiful!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe that about your job, but I'm glad you got to take this trip! It looks absolutely amazing. Shockingly, we were able to see the Northern Lights here in our back yard in Georgia a couple of weeks ago during that solar flare and it was incredible. I can't imagine how vivid and amazing they must look up north!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your job I have been through this. In fact I have been laid off 8 times in three different industries on two different coasts (in Seattle & New York) and who knows could happen a 9th time in a fourth industry. I feel like we are in recession again for sure. But at least you got to take a trip to Alaska.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I am so sorry to hear about your job. That's really unfortunate and layoffs are never fun, even when things aren't going well. Alaska looked and sounded amazing! Such a great tip to go early in the season. I am so jealous you got to see the Northern Lights! What a bucket list experience and great surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear about your job- that absolutely sucks. It's so sad (and infuriating!) when new senior leadership comes and just absolutely drives everything into the ground. I'm thinking of you!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete