Florida Keys Trip and Much Needed Catch Up

Remember me? It's been over a month since I last blogged, and it's time to catch up! Lots going on - another back to back work trip this time to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Dubai, U.A.E., a family trip to the Keys, Thanksgiving fun, now all the Christmas fun, a birthday celebration for a dear friend and of course super busy at work. 


I'll be re-capping Rio and Dubai later this week, because right now I want to catch up on the goings on here at home sweet home. Stay tuned! 



Less than a week after I returned from Dubai, we left on a much needed family trip. We were originally going to Cancun, and were excited about the villa we had rented with ocean views. Well we ended up canceling 4 days before we were scheduled to leave due to the recent cartel shootings that have taken place at Cancun resorts. The thought of a boat pulling up while we are relaxing on the beach or the pool, and gang members opening fire was enough to change our plans to say the least. 


Thankfully, Expedia graciously refunded us for the resort and we have vouchers with JetBlue that we will use for a future trip. And honestly, I've had enough swabs up my nose with all the international travel that I was easily persuaded to stay state-side. We decided to return to the Keys as we had last year the week of Thanksgiving, this time choosing a resort in Duck Key (just past Islamorada) called Hawks Cay Resort


Sarong Cover-Up {only $20}




* A famous rum runner from the Tiki Bar at the Postcard Inn is a must in the Keys*





*Her unicorn suitcase is still one of my favorite purchases EVER*




We stopped at Lorelei's in Islamorada for a relaxed brunch on the water before heading home. Lil' Miss surprised me by not wanting waffles or the chocolate chip pancakes on the kids menu, and instead chose yogurt with fruit and granola. I did not have the same willpower, and ordered an omelette and a mimosa. And then realized I hadn't had a slice of key lime pie on our trip, so ordered a key lime pie colada as a farewell to vacay. Worth every delicious calorie! 




Other goings on - Lil' Miss was adorable helping in the kitchen to prepare for Thanksgiving and even brought her own "sous chef". She helped make the candied yams and the pumpkin cheesecake, and they both came out delish!




I was reunited with a few of my favs to celebrate a birthday of one of our nearest and dearest. I got super emotional hugging them all, because it had been too long since I had seen them for my birthday in August. I'm honored to have such amazing girlfriends in my life, and can easily say none of us have ever fought in the 12-ish years I've known them and are fiercely loyal to one another. I believe it's because we just have fun together without gossiping (which is not good for your soul or for the people you're discussing behind their backs), and are always there to lift each other up. The true pillars of friendship. 








I also took Lil' Miss out for a mommy and me breakfast date which we both needed after how much I've been away. She even asked me to sit next to her in the booth without anyone on the other side of the table. Heart melted.




We took her to a Christmas tree lighting that was complete with fun activities, food trucks and live music. Oh and real reindeer that Lil' Miss called "real Svens". A spin on the hamster wheel to make her own snow cone was probably the highlight of the evening. 








And Sprinkles has returned to our home complete with a North Pole Breakfast. I skipped the powdered donuts this year, and instead of Santa pancakes I turned a waffle into Santa. For only $10 - I'm super impressed with this gingerbread man waffle maker. The waffles come out perfectly with a 1/4 cup scoop of batter, and they do not stick. I repeat they do not stick! 




Shop this Post




7 comments:

  1. I loved your trip to the Keys. Now I need to plan a trip there. Lil’ Miss is such a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like y'all had some beautiful weather for your trip! I'm glad you got to get away with your fam... I can't imagine how hard it would have been to leave them for as long as you did for work! And I can't believe how big S is getting. She looks so grown up wheeling her little unicorn suitcase. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip! It looked like you all had fun and got to spend time together. Your daughter looks so cute in her chef outfit and yes please to pumpkin cheesecake! I haven't had a slice this year and I am way overdue. Btw, it's a great blessing to have such great friends like yours. Love the love you all have for each other. I hope you were able to rest and relax this weekend and wishing you a fabulous week ahead!

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this recap! Your trip to the Keys sounds wonderful! Your little miss is adorable in her apron and chefs hat!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls have that unicorn travel case too. They love it. Looks like a great time. You have been so busy!! I can't wait to hear about your work trips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun trip! It sounds like you've been super busy, but so good to get away with the fam and soak up some rays!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have done the Keys too!

    I cannot believe how long your daughter's hair is. I love it!

    ReplyDelete