The Great Debate

Every year around this time without a question, I go to get my flu shot. Always have, always will. Maybe it's because I grew up with a nurse for my mom....maybe it's because I'm a germaphobe.... or maybe it's because I've suffered through many horrible flu viruses through the years and ever since I started getting the shot I've been healthy aside from the occasional cold *knock on wood*.

But it never ceases to amaze me how many people refuse to get one or don't actively pursue getting one. Some people think they get the flu from the shot (not true), some think they're invincible from the virus, and others are afraid of needles. Youch! Don't blame them! But this year, I honestly barely felt anything. I'm also so relieved to be protected through the flu season, and if it takes a little pinch in the arm then I'll take it. Nothing's worse than feeling like death over Thanksgiving or Christmas.


Both H and I had flu clinics at our jobs this year which was great, because now I don't have to worry about going on my own time to the doctor's office or to the pharmacy.


I even got a lollipop for being such a good patient! :)

Protect yourself this season, even if you don't want to get the flu shot make sure to take vitamins every day and to wash your hands before eating. *Stepping down off my soapbox*

6 comments:

  1. I got my flu shot at Target a few weeks ago! I'm with you- I've suffered enough NASTY flu viruses that makes me want to avoid it happening again! I thought it was especially important this year because I'm at a new job which brings in a whole set of new germs...that and I already have been sick with coldy/stomach bug stuff 2x this fall! Flu shots are the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm getting mine this weekend! I work with kids, so it's an absolute must! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you just inspired me to go get it over with! I was debating whether to get it since I hardly get sick (knock on wood) but it's free with my insurance so why take the risk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand how people don't get a flu shot?! i got mine a couple weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a nurse, I am a HUGE advocate of vaccination. There is a lot of misinformation and basic fear-mongering when it comes to vaccines. Are they perfect? well duh, nothing is perfect. Do they have side effects? Well, yes, they can. But so can drinking copious amounts of alcohol but people seem to have no problem doing that. It may not save your life, but it could save someone else (strangers even) who has a lowered immune system.

    I am required to have a flu shot or else I have to wear a mask from now until March. I got my shot in September. I also give a relatively painless flu shot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before I started my job at the hospital (where we are required to get the shot) I always refused to get it. But it was because I'm not one of those that are recommended to get it. I believe that those who are highly suggested to get it, definitely should (like pregnant women, children, teachers, healthcare, immunocompromised, elderly, etc) but I never saw the point for a healthy person. And I came into that high opinion from nursing school after studying it. But I was also pretty lucky in the fact that I didn't get the flu once I got out of high school (and hopefully it stays that way! lol).

    BUT I believe this is the one vaccine that is the only one that is considered optional. The rest of them without question should be given, in my opinion. But that's another rant. ;)

    ReplyDelete