New England Summer Road Trip

I meant to recap this trip over a month ago, and then well... life happened. In a good way! I also still need to recap all of life's adventures lately, our family cruise with my sis-in-law and her family, and my quick trip to Vegas with Lil' Miss to see the Backstreet Boys at The Sphere. Still riding the high from that experience! 


Lil' Miss has been wanting to check out the summer camp I grew up going to on a lake in New Hampshire for a while, and we finally made it happen this year. Since it involves flights, a rental car, and strategic planning of staying with family and then hotels for our road trip around New England it was no small feat. But so worth it! I just felt super bad for the pup who was at the boarding place for almost 2 weeks. 




A morning flight out of Terminal C (my fav until the other terminals get their much needed renovations) calls for a stop at Summer House before heading to the gate. We touched down around lunch time and spent the afternoon and evening with my in-laws before meeting my parents for breakfast the next morning. My brother and his family were on vacation, so we didn't get to see them until after we got back from our road trip a week later. 




The next evening, we went to our first Hartford Yard Goats game. Lil' Miss was just there for the hot dogs, popcorn, and her new jersey! 








The next morning was our 16th anniversary, so we started the day at a local coffee shop before meeting my college bestie who was our MOH to have lunch at our wedding venue. I still can't believe how much it's changed, but enjoyed the trip down memory lane and of course lunch with a view.












I also had us recreate one of our photos from the wedding, and can't believe how much we've also changed in the past 16 years. My smokey eye wedding makeup and updo was very 2010! 




Saturday was our last full day in Connecticut before driving up to New Hampshire to drop off Lil' Miss. We finally got to try Neil's Donuts  (I was also a big fan of their iced coffee) before heading over to an indoor rock climbing place for the cousins to burn off some energy. 










That evening, we grilled dinner with my parents (yes they STILL live in Connecticut, and yes they are supposedly finally joining us in Florida hopefully much sooner than later. Lil' Miss is constantly asking when Nana and Poppa are going to be here.) My mom gave me a care package to leave for her to open on the 2nd day of camp which was such a sweet surprise.




It was surreal for me to walk the grounds again after growing up spending most of my summers there. Watching my little girl get settled into her cabin and explore was simply incredible. I was so nervous that she wouldn't love it as much as I did, and worried about her the whole week until we reunited with her. We sent her daily letters and had a care package delivered to her on the 1st morning but it was hard not to know how she was doing other than seeing pictures they were posting to a shared folder for the parents. 




After dropping her off, and me bawling my eyes out walking away from her cabin we drove down to Cape Cod for the next few days. Exhausted doesn't describe how tired we were, so after a quick dinner and some fire pit time we were ready for some much needed sleep.




We picked the Hyannis Harbor Hotel since it was right across from where we would catch the ferry to Martha's Vineyard the next morning for a day of exploring the island on bikes.














After biking over 12 miles, it was time for some lunch, shopping, and a quick drink by the ferry where everyone was watching the World Cup. I miss the energy during the World Cup, and am now counting down the days until the next Olympic games. 




We were exhausted from the sun and riding bikes, and ended up at the prettiest spot for dinner although I felt underdressed in my sweater and shorts. Oh well, I was there for the food and the views which did not disappoint.






Our last full day on the Cape was spent working from the hotel room, grabbing lunch in the marina, and some shopping at Cuffy's for some new sweatshirts.






The next morning, we checked out and headed to Ogunquit, Maine for a few days to stay at the cutest inn with a view. It ended up being super hot, and even though we were on the ocean there was a lack of breeze making it feel even hotter. I was beyond embarrassed at how uncomfortable I was in Maine when I was visiting from Florida. 















After checking out of the inn, we made our way back to New Hampshire for the evening to stay on Lake Winnipesaukee. 






The original plan was to go hiking, but it was still in the mid 90's (even up in the mountains) so spending time on the lake and renting kayaks became a much better idea. 








The next morning was the 4th of July, and it was finally time to pick up Lil' Miss. It was the sweetest reunion, and I cried even more when she exclaimed that she had an amazing week and wants to go back again next year! 




We hopped back into the rental car and headed back to Connecticut to spend the 4th of July with my family before flying back home the next day and to scoop up the pup. 




It's been a whirlwind, but amazing summer! My heart is officially full.


Shop this Post



No comments:

Post a Comment